Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The humanitarian dream (by Tanguy)

Yesterday was my first day at the Sovann Komar/Golden Children Village. The orphanage is this beautiful small village with eighty children aged between 2 and 8 years old. The kids either don't have parents anymore or were abandoned; as a result, they are alone with no one to turn to. However thanks to the village they can now smile, sing and get schooling like other children in Cambodia.

I believe the ultimate humanitarian dream is to give every person on this planet the same equal chance to success; regardless of their family background, where they were born or come from. While the dream may seems thousands of miles away, I believe that it is projects such as Sovann Komar that bring this dream closer to reality one step at a time.

This reminds me of a speech that my good friend Ankur once gave (Ankur Luthra's University Medal Speech). Below are his words:

If something, anything, bothers you, I challenge you to do something about it. You ask “Can I make a difference?” With confidence, I say absolutely. You ask, “But how vast could that difference possibly be?” Good question; it reminds me of a surgeon in India I read about who works for free. After a morning bombing, he saw an afternoon waiting room of hundreds of dying men unable to afford care who turned to him to save their lives. When the doctor was told by an onlooker he cannot possibly make a significant difference considering he could only save a few of the hundred, the doctor replies, "Ask the last man I saved how significant my difference was." That's the beauty of making a difference, my friends. It is not judged on extensiveness; it is judged on heart, dedication, and patience. Be the change you want to see in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment